Today's Health News in Snippets

29/11/2021

Rwanda suspends flights to southern Africa states.jpg

Rwanda suspends flights to southern Africa states

The government in Rwanda has announced new measures that include the suspension of flights to and from southern African countries.

 

All arriving passengers must have a negative test and do a repeat test on arrival and seven days after arriving into the country.

 

A seven-day quarantine has also been reintroduced for travellers coming from countries recently affected by the new waves.

 

All those attending gatherings like weddings and funerals must be fully vaccinated.

For more, click here.

Face masks required in shops and public transport from Tuesday amid new variant fears.jpg

Face masks required in shops and public transport from Tuesday in UK amid new variant fears

Face masks will become mandatory again in shops and on public transport from Tuesday in England, the Health Secretary has said.

 

Sajid Javid said he hope the tougher rules on face coverings in England would be "temporary" as ministers reimpose some measures amid fears the new strain could evade existing vaccines.

 

It was a legal requirement to wear a face covering in shops and public transport, as well as some other indoor settings, until July 19.

 

People who flouted the rules faced fines of up to £6,400 for repeated offences. It is likely a similar level of fine would accompany the new rules.

For more, click here.

At least 44 countries have imposed temporary restrictions on travel from the southern Afri

At least 44 countries have imposed temporary restrictions on travel from the southern Africa region over the Omicron variant

Japan and Israel have banned all foreign nationals from entering their countries following the discovery of a new variant of Covid-19, while at least 44 countries have imposed travel restrictions from several African countries.

 

A growing number of countries have reported confirmed cases of the Omicron variant, including Canada.

For more, click here.

South African health minister slams travel bans.jpg

South African health minister slams travel bans

South Africa's health minister has condemned the travel restrictions being imposed against the country after the discovery of a new coronavirus variant.

 

Speaking to reporters on Friday evening, Joe Phaahla says the introduction of travel restrictions by a number of countries against southern African nations are "completely against the norms and standards" set out by the World Health Organization (WHO).

 

He adds that foreign scientists have not presented any evidence that the new variant has the capacity to evade protection offered by vaccines, though he accepts that early signs suggest it is more transmissible.

For more, click here.

Governments around the world are mobilizing to respond to the new Covid-19 variant.jpg

Governments around the world are mobilizing to respond to the new Covid-19 variant

The world is in a "race against time" with the Omicron coronavirus variant, said European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen on Sunday, warning during a visit to Latvia that scientists and manufacturers will need weeks to fully understand the new variant.

 

As more cases are identified and governments around the world mobilize to respond to Omicron, an urgent meeting of G7 health ministers will be convened on Monday, the United Kingdom said. It also announced on Sunday new domestic public health rules requiring face coverings in shops and on public transport starting this week.
 

Omicron was first identified by scientists in South Africa, who raised alarm over its unusually high number of mutations on Thursday. Since then, at least dozen other have confirmed cases of the new strain, with several other reporting suspected cases.

For more, click here.

At least 22 killed in attack on DR Congo camp.jpg

At least 22 killed in attack on DR Congo camp

At least 22 people have been killed in an attack in a camp for displaced people in Ituri province in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.

 

The attack has been blamed on the armed group Cooperative for the Development of the Congo (Codeco) who are said to have opened fire on the camp.

 

Twenty people were buried immediately in two common graves, while another two were buried later, the AFP news agency quoted a Red Cross official as saying.

 

An attack on the same camp last week killed 29 people.

For more, click here.